For the pasta:
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley, save 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-3 teaspoons red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you want it)
For the salad:
- 3 cups arugula
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (optional if using oil)
- Cook pasta: In a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat, add water and 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in penne, and boil, stirring occasionally, until al dente (about 10 minutes). Drain pasta.
- Coarsely chop olives. Chop the parsley.
- Make sauce: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add garlic, crushed red pepper, tomatoes, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Simmer 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Finish Sauce: Stir in olives, capers, and all but 2 tablespoons parsley (save for garnish). Cook 1 more minute or until thoroughly heated.
- Make salad: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (if using), and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add arugula; toss to coat.
- To Serve: Add pasta to the hot sauce and toss. Divide between 2 plates and serve garnished with parsley. Serve with salad on the side.
source and for more : http://www.veggiesdontbite.com